Thursday, August 27, 2026

Christian Cross Over Hungary

My sister was visiting Hungary. She sent the following email and photo: 

I was in Budapest on August 20th, St Istvan’s Day.

I attended the ceremonies at Parliament.  Magyar Peter spoke. The speech was patriotic. But there’s EU flags, which were absent under Orban.

Then an Air Show on the Duna.

Then went to mass at St. Istvan’s Basilica.  That is where the preserved right hand of St. Istvan is.

As you know, to become a saint, you must have a miracle associated with you. It wasn’t enough that St. Istvan converted the pagan Magyar tribes to Christianity in 1000 AD.

St. Istvan’s miracle was that after he died, his body decayed as typical, but his right hand did not. So his hand has been sitting in a glass case in the basilica since 1038 AD.

After the mass, there was a procession through the streets of Budapest with the right hand lifted and encased. I joined the procession.

At night there was a fireworks and drone show. One of the drone images is attached. Imagine projecting a giant cross in the air in the US.

========== 

No comments: